As you may be aware, Procera has recently launched the new and improved Procera Sleep which contains seven terrific ingredients. Today we are going to focus on melatonin, a powerful ingredient that helps you sleep.
While many people know it as a sleep aid, melatonin is first and foremost a hormone that our bodies produce to keep our sleep-wake cycles on track. When consumed as a low-dose supplement on its own or with other natural sleep aids, melatonin can help you get to sleep faster and wake up refreshed.
Melatonin plays a key role in regulating our circadian rhythm. The pineal gland is inactive during the day, but as the sun goes down, it activates and naturally produces melatonin to help induce sleepiness. About two hours before you naturally awaken in the morning, melatonin production slows and you begin to slowly awaken. Melatonin also plays a role in cardiovascular health, blood sugar management, immunity and hormonal health.
In adults, research studies have found that melatonin benefits sleep in a number of ways. For people that go to bed later due to work or lifestyle choices, low doses of melatonin taken before bedtime can help people adjust their sleep cycle forward. Melatonin has also been found to be helpful during travel. Jet lag can occur when a person travels rapidly across multiple time zones because their body’s internal clock becomes misaligned with the local day-night cycle. Research studies have shown than melatonin can help reset the sleep-wake cycle and improve sleep in people with jet lag.
Melatonin's main job is sending the signal that it's time for bed. Melatonin is best consumed in low doses (1 to 3 milligrams) in the 30 to 60 minutes leading up to your intended bedtime. People that take more than 5 milligrams nightly often complain of grogginess and brain fog when they wake up more refreshed.
The following natural sleep aids pair well with melatonin and can help you relax, sleep deeply and wake up refreshed:
• 5-HTP: 5-HTP is thought to indirectly affect melatonin levels. This amino acid can increase the production of feel-good serotonin in the body, which can then be converted into melatonin. Because of this chain reaction, 5-HTP supplements may help shorten the time it takes to fall asleep, especially when combined with other natural sleep aids.
• Magnesium: Magnesium is an essential mineral that our bodies need to thrive. Many people don't get enough of it from diet alone. It has been shown to improve sleep quality and sleep efficacy in research studies.
• L-theanine: A neurologically active amino acid found in green tea, L-theanine works by blocking receptors in the brain that can initiate a stress response. For those who tend to feel stressed at night before bed, L-theanine can be calming.
• Lemon Balm: A lemon-scented herb that comes from the same family as mint, Lemon Balm is native to Europe and North Africa. Lemon balm has been traditionally used to help reduce symptoms of stress such as nervousness and excitability.
• Valerian & Hops - clinical research shows that Valerian & Hops improves sleep quality and reduces the time it takes to fall asleep.
You can find melatonin along with sleep aids such as 5-HTP, magnesium and L-theanine in the new and improved product, Procera Sleep. ProClarity is designed to boost your mental clarity and memory and to do so quickly. Formulated by our science team, the ingredients are supported by hundreds of clinical studies and years of use.